(This is going to be the cliff notes version, because I am fail)
After acquiring the Dragon-Slaying Sword the party rested at a nearby village for two weeks to gather their strength and prepare for the journey ahead.
Darian spent most of the time in bed, recovering from his facial injury. Some foul infection spread in his veins, robbing him of some of his strength… after two weeks though, he was strong enough to travel.
Viktor’s injury turned out to be worse than expected. He spent the whole time abed as well.
Borun and Lhianna kept themselves busy. Borun worked himself into exhaustion toiling in the fields and around the village. Lhinna helped villagers with repairs, among other things fixing a plow for a farmer and his family.
(Unknown to our heroes, that plow will later break in the field… giving the farmer a grudge against the fair elven maiden)
After the two weeks had passed, our heroes left Viktor behind at the village and went to the well-known inn the Weary Traveller’s Respite. It was a days journey and there they surely could find company for the trip to Lord Jakab.
They found a travelling peddler whom they negotiated with for a while, which eventually ended with them sharing the cost of his escort and them agreeing to travel together.
Lhianna, Darian and Borun also spent some time at the inn gathering rumors… Lhianna heard about a weird absence of animals on the road, Darian discovered he had a hand in his father’s demise and that he is a twisted sorcerer justly banished and Borun heard some silly tales about snake-people. It later turned out that only Darian’s and Lhianna’s information was solid.
Two days later, they set out. About a dozen travellers set out together. A sizeable group, with strength in numbers it seemed little could go wrong.
Then it all went to hell.
Darian spotted some kind of creature wandering along the road, draining the land around it of life and energy.
Confident and curious, our heroes set out to rid the land of this blight.
It turned out to be some kind of Ghoul – with an ability to drain people of their will and strength. However, it’s ability was limited in range and it was slow, so the heroes engaged it. Borun in melee, to keep the thing at bay, Lhianna shooting it from range and Darian providing magical support.
It turned out that the creature was immune to direct magic and that BOrun could only withstand it’s draining aura for so long. That didn’t matter though, studded with arrows it would soon be going down.
Then Darian fucked up. He tried to topple a tree onto the Ghoul and his magic went out of control… summoning two more of the creatures. It’s uncertain whether Lhianna or BOrun are actually aware that this was what happened… Darian certainly is though.
A mighty battle followed… kinda. Mostly it consisted of Lhianna running circles around the Ghouls while Borun was drained and Darian tried to keep the Lhianna moving and Borun fighting. In the end two of the ghouls were destroyed, but one got away – after chasing a bewildered, panicked and exhausted Borun around in the woods for a while.
They got Borun back to the caravan while Lhianna looked for tracks. She found some tracks, but her and Darian were unable to find the last Ghoul. Frustrated, they had to return to the caravan as well. The Ghoul had gotten away and there was nothing they could do.
Then the weakened husk formerly known as Borun had a dream, in which the Ghoul killed an innoncent traveler.
That’s right, s**t just got real.
Lhianna and Darian set out after the Ghoul, leaving Borun with the caravan to recover.
- Lhianna and Darian travel through the landscape, their gazes intense, searching for clues and following tracks.
- Borun waking up, screaming, after another dream where the slain traveler rose as a Ghoul and devoured his horse.
- Lhianna and Darian finding the campsite, with the dead horse and tracks leading away.
- Borun talking to the peddler, delerious and weak. Remembering that there’s a shrine near the road… perhaps there will be help there.
- Lhianna and Darian travelling.
- Borun having another dream of Ghouls wandering… towards the newly created Ghoul’s family.
- Lhianna and Darian walking. This is a theme with them.
- Borun’s fevered dreams of the Ghouls slaughtering a woman and child… one Ghoul wandering away, dragging his daughter after him.
- Lhianna and Darian walking, yet again.
- Lhianna and Darian walking… wait.
- Lhianna and Darian torching the house to destroy the dead woman who is about to rise as a Ghoul.
- Borun arriving at the shrine, trying to get the priest to help him… failing spectacularly and instead getting the priest to purge him.
- Lhianna and Darian accidently starting a brush fire, much hilarity follows.
- Lhianna and Darian encountering a Ghoul in the brush fire. Much pain follows.
- Borun being purged and trying to convince a roadside tavern full of people to fight the undead menace. He fails spectacularly, yet again.
- Lhianna and Darian staggering through the smoke… exhausted and battered, but victorious.
- Borun stealing the priests horse and riding back along the road, towards the undead he can no longer sense, hoping to lead the priest and his followers on a merry chase. If they chase him long enough, they might just be in the right place at the right time.
- Borun getting caught by the priest on the road after a few hours, because Borun can’t ride for shit.